The Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment to ensure projects are orderly, efficient and of high standard. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's vision for its future and long-range guide for development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission/Board of Adjustment and Appeals and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
- Divisions:Planning Permits, Sign Permits
- Apply Online http://www.ShakopeeMN.gov/epermits
Sign permits are required for any permanent sign erected within the city and any commercial sign temporary or permanent erected in the city. Temporary ideological, political or non-commercial signage does not require a sign permit. More information about sign permits is available under Sign Permits.
Note: Signs placed within the right-of-way or attached to trees, utility poles, rocks or other similar surfaces are not permitted and can be removed without warning.
Submitting an application
- Apply on our ePermits site.
- Pay application fees online with a credit card. This will begin your project and create a project on our ePlans website. Once your project is created and fees paid, you will receive an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org with a temporary password and instructions how to log in.
- Upload the Sign Permit Application [PDF] through ePlans. All planning projects need to be accompanied by the appropriate planning application, as well as additional submittal requirements.