Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The city owns a portion of the land between the street and people's homes. This area, called a boulevard or right-of-way, is public land and is specifically dedicated for public purposes, such as street and utility work.

The city uses the right-of-way to maintain and construct roadways, sidewalks, sewer lines, gas lines, phone lines, and other utilities and to store snow. The size of the boulevard adjacent to a property depends on the size of the dedicated right-of-way, the width of the street and the location of the street.

Property owners are required to mow and maintain the boulevard area adjacent to their property, with the exception of trees located within the right-of-way, which are maintained by the city.

More information about right-of-way management: City Code 90.30-90.58

Right-of-Way Insurance Registration

  • Departments:City Clerk
  • Divisions:Engineering & Public Works Permits, Public Works Permits
  • Phone:952-233-9300

All companies and individuals working in a city right-of-way and/or easement must provide a certificate of insurance verifying their insurance is current and active. Right-of-way registration is managed by the City Clerk's Office.

Certificate of Insurance Requirements Information [PDF]

Submit Right-of-Way Registration [PDF] form to:

City Clerk's Office
485 Gorman St.
Shakopee, MN 55379

Questions? 952-233-9300


Return to full list >>