CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES: City facilities are closed until further notice. Shakopee City Hall will reopen to the public beginning Monday, June 1. The Shakopee Police Department, Shakopee Public Works and Shakopee Ice Arena will also reopen for public business.

The Shakopee Community Center remains closed in accordance with state orders.

City staff are continuing to provide essential services. Contact us by phone, website or email. Find the latest updates at


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Easements are important ways the city and utility companies maintain access to necessary underground lines. City Code 90.16 prohibits property owners from building any structure (including a fence) or adding any landscaping to an easement or right-of-way without obtaining written approval from the city.

What is an Easement?

Easements are created during the platting process to accommodate storm water run-off and buried utilities, such as sanitary sewer, storm sewer, water, electrical, gas, telephone or cable television lines. The easements serve as an access point for authorized personnel to enter for inspection and maintenance purposes.

When you purchase a home, the builder or previous owners should provide you with a certificate of survey at closing clearly showing the property lines and all easements on the lot. If you cannot find this survey, contact the Building Division at City Hall for a copy or your survey.

Fence and Right-of-Way Permits

Property owners must obtain a fence before installing, replacing, repairing or moving a fence to ensure access to the easement is maintained. Contractors and utility companies working in a right-of-way must obtain a right-of-way permit before beginning work.

Right-of-Way Permit

Unless otherwise provided in city code, you cannot obstruct or excavate in the right-of-way without first obtaining a right-of-way permit and registration form. Obstructions approved by permit are the responsibility of the property owner.

Right-of-Way Permit Application [PDF]

 Right-of-Way Informational Handout [PDF]

Submit permit application to:

Shakopee Public Works
400 Gorman St.
Shakopee, MN 55379

By email (please sign electronically):

 Questions? 952-233-9550

PLEASE NOTE: All companies and individuals working in a city right-of-way and/or easement must provide a certificate of insurance verifying their insurance is current and active. 

Return to full list >>

Easement and Right-of-Way Encroachments

No trees, shrubs, bushes, fences, retaining walls or other objects will be allowed in an easement or right-of-way unless the property owner receives written permission from the city and the encroachment is in conformance with the city’s most recently adopted easement policy.

Easement Fencing and Landscaping Policy [PDF]

The city can require any obstructions in an easement or right-of-way be removed at the owner’s expense. In non-emergent situations, the city will try to give the property owner a reasonable amount of time to remove the obstruction. However, if the property owner does not remove the obstruction as requested or if there is an emergency situation, the city can remove the obstruction and charge the property owner for the expenses. The city will not be required to compensate the owner for the cost of the repair, replacement or removal of the object.

Utility color code

Sight Triangles

City Code 151.125 prohibits property owners on corner lots from landscaping or planting any object that rises 3 feet above the surface of the road. This is meant to preserve corner visibility so that vehicles can see approaching traffic.

Contact Us

Public Works Department, 400 Gorman St. | 952-233-9550