Falling into autumn
Tips and reminders for preparing your property for fall and winter
It's officially fall. Make the most of autumn's beautiful weather by making sure your property is ready for the colder weather.
- Trim your trees in the fall or have an arborist help. You can find tree trimming advice from the University of Minnesota Extension Office.
- If you use lawn chemicals, fall is the best time to spray for weed control. Fall is also a great time to fertilize your yard. Be sure to use a phosphorus-free fertilizer whenever possible.
- City crews will be doing our annual fall street sweeping. Residents are reminded it's against city code to blow grass or leaves on the street.
- Clear out catch basins of leaves and garbage and consider adopting your neighborhood storm drain. Never put salt (or anything) in drains.
- Dispose of your yard waste for free at the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community's Organics Recycling Facility from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sundays in September and October.
- Recycle your old stuff at the city's Fall Clean Up Day event Saturday, Oct. 19 at Public Works.
- Install reflective markers for snow plows before the ground freezes. You can purchase these at your local hardware store. Fall is also a good time to inspect your mailboxes and posts.
- Test snowblowers, check fluids, have shovels and salt purchased and ready for the season.
As always, if you have a maintenance question or request for street, park or utility maintenance, call Public Works at 952-233-9550 or email publicworks@ShakopeeMN.gov.