Provided below is news and information from the City of Shakopee. Public notices and proposed ordinances are available elsewhere on the city website.
Be cool on your way back to school
Post Date:08/30/2019 9:15 am
Return to full list >>
As students head back to school this fall, the Shakopee Police Department and National Safety Council remind everyone to practice these safety tips:
Pedestrians & Bicyclists
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections. Do not cross in the middle of a street.
- Look left-right-left before crossing any street.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing.
- Stand at least six feet behind the curb when waiting to board a bus.
- Learn how to use the flashing light crosswalks on 17th Avenue.
- Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk. Never pass a car waiting for pedestrians.
- Don't block the crosswalk when stopped at a red light or waiting to make a turn.
- Slow down for school zones. Use extra caution when in the vicinity of a school.
- Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you’re on an undivided road – if it is stopped to load or unload children.
- If a bus' yellow or red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop.
- Be extra vigilant in school zones and residential neighborhoods where kids may be waiting at bus stops.
- Be alert and dump distractions. Whether you're walking, biking or driving, put down the phone and pay attention.