Be cool on your way back to school
Post Date:08/30/2019 9:15 am
Return to full list >>
As students head back to school this fall, the Shakopee Police Department and National Safety Council remind everyone to practice these safety tips:
Pedestrians & Bicyclists
- Cross streets at crosswalks or intersections. Do not cross in the middle of a street.
- Look left-right-left before crossing any street.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing.
- Stand at least six feet behind the curb when waiting to board a bus.
- Learn how to use the flashing light crosswalks on 17th Avenue.
- Stop for pedestrians in crosswalk. Never pass a car waiting for pedestrians.
- Don't block the crosswalk when stopped at a red light or waiting to make a turn.
- Slow down for school zones. Use extra caution when in the vicinity of a school.
- Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you’re on an undivided road – if it is stopped to load or unload children.
- If a bus' yellow or red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop.
- Be extra vigilant in school zones and residential neighborhoods where kids may be waiting at bus stops.
- Be alert and dump distractions. Whether you're walking, biking or driving, put down the phone and pay attention.