Latest News

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Provided below is news and information from the City of Shakopee. Public notices and proposed ordinances are available elsewhere on the city website.

#AsktheCity: Code Enforcement

Post Date:08/19/2019 12:03 pm

The Shakopee City Council is responsible for adopting city ordinances that act as laws for municipalities. These ordinances are codified in the official City Code.

Who enforces city code?

The Shakopee Police Department and city Building Official are responsible for enforcing city code. The city historically has used a complaint-based system. In 2018, the city hired a full-time code compliance specialist to respond more proactively to code violations.

What happens when the city receives a code violation complaint?

When the city receives a complaint, our first step is to look at the property in question to determine if a violation is occurring. We then document the violation with photos and identify who is responsible. Our next step is to issue a notice or warning with a reasonable amount of time to address the concern.

Does the city issue fines?

Most property owners bring the property into compliance. For those who do not make progress toward compliance, the city may issue a citation, which sends the violation into the court system. It does not ensure the property will be brought into compliance.

Can I report a complaint anonymously?

No. The city does not accept anonymous complaints.

What are the most common ordinance violations?

In 2018, the city responded to 531 commercial and residential ordinance complaints. Common violations include long grass and weeds, exterior storage, encroachment and animal complaints. Visit for answers to the most common ordinance questions.

To report a code violation, call 952-233-9400 or report a complaint via the city website at

This column originally appeared in the Fall 2019 Hometown Messenger.

Return to full list >>