New city hall address

The new city hall building is now open at 485 Gorman St. Please update your records to include our new mailing address. If you have questions, call us 952-233-9300.

Traffic engineers use signal lights, stop signs and speed limits as ways to improve the safety of our roadways for motorists and pedestrians. 

Street Lights

Shakopee Public Utilities maintains all the street lights in the city. Report street light outages:

The street lights policy [PDF] outlines its practices for maintaining and installing street lights.

Traffic Signal Lights

Exit and entrance ramps for Highway 169: MnDOT (651) 582-1550

Vierling Drive/Heather Street and Southbridge Parkway/Old Carriage Court: City of Shakopee (952) 445-1411

All other lights: Scott County (952) 496-8346

Stop Signs

A stop sign is one of our most valuable and effective control devices when used at the right place and under the right conditions. It is intended to help drivers and pedestrians at an intersection decide who has the right-of-way. However, when stop signs are installed as “nuisances” or “speed breakers,” there is a high incidence of intentional violation. Therefore, stop signs should not be used as speed control devices.

The city is responsible for the installation of stop signs on city streets. This takes into account requests made by residents.

The city uses nationally recognized traffic control guidelines to develop a signing policy to determine whether a stop sign is warranted. A stop sign is installed when traffic conditions, such as volume and accident history, topography of the area and human factors, such as pedestrian use, determine it is necessary.


If you would like the city to consider installing a stop sign at a particular intersection, please submit a signage request form and petition signed by neighbors who live within 400 feet of the intersection.

Stop Sign Request and Petition [PDF]

Warning Sign Request and Petition [PDF]

Return it to City Hall, 129 S. Holmes St., Shakopee, MN 55379. 

Once a request has been received, city staff will evaluate the intersection and apply the city's adopted signage policies to determine whether any additional traffic control signs are warranted.

Speed Limits

It is a common belief that posting a speed limit sign will influence drivers to drive at that speed. Facts indicate otherwise. Research has shown that drivers are influenced more by the appearance of the road itself and the prevailing traffic conditions than by the posted speed limit.

The maximum speed limit for any passenger vehicle in Minnesota is as follows:

  • Freeways outside urban districts - 65 or 70 miles per hour
  • Urban freeway and highways - 55 or 60 miles per hour
  • Residential streets - 30 miles per hour
  • Alleys in urban districts – 10 miles per hour

The speed limits are not always posted but all motorists are required to know these basic speed laws.

Intermediate speed limits between 30 and 55 miles per hour may be established by the Minnesota Department of Transportation based on traffic engineering surveys. These surveys include an analysis of roadway conditions, accident records and the prevailing speed of prudent drivers. If speed limit signs are posted for a lower limit than is needed to safely meet these conditions, many drivers will simply ignore the signs, thus increasing conflict between faster and slower drivers, reducing the gaps in traffic through which crossings could be made safety and making it more difficult for pedestrians to judge the speed of approaching vehicles. Studies have shown that when uniformity of speed is not maintained, accidents generally increase.

Traffic Safety Review Committee

The city's Traffic Safety Review Committee is responsible for evaluating concerns of traffic issues, such as signage, speeding, parking and more. The committee meets quarterly and is made up of city employees from the Engineering, Police, Administration and Public Works. Petitions and concerns of residents and property owners are discussed during these meetings and recommendations are brought to the City Council.

For more information about the Traffic Safety Review Committee, contact Bruce Loney, Public Works Director, at (952) 233-9369 or