The Natural Resources Division monitors the inventory, management and preservation of the city's natural resources to ensure that the city’s high-quality, ecologically sensitive areas are maintained and conservation initiatives are implemented in the development process. The division's main functions include:
- Forestry: Preserve and protect city's urban tree canopy, including management of trees on public land and enforcement of city ordinances.
- Surface Water: Develop and maintain native plantings around the city's surface water drainage system.
- Conservation Easement Management: Manage activities within conservation easements.
- Invasive Plant Management: Assist the police department in the inspection and control of noxious weeds.
- Public Education: Develop natural resource/environmental education outreach programs.