Application Period: Jan. 18-Feb. 1
Interviews: Start Feb. 15
Contingent Offer: March
Background Check & Physical: April
Start Date: May
The Shakopee Fire Department employs a small contingent of full-time firefighters, as well as a larger staff of paid-on-call firefighters who are responsible for responding to emergency calls and attending training and drills, on an average of five to 10 hours per week.
Paid-on-call firefighters are generally hired each spring. If you are interested in applying at that time, visit the city’s Employment page or sign up to be notified when applications are being accepted.
- Starting wage of $13/hour
- Paid training
- Pension benefits of $7,800 per year of service (Fully vested after 20 years)
- Leadership opportunities
- Serve your community
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Reside within a 10 minute response time of a Shakopee fire station
- Must be able to maintain an attendance record of 35 percent for emergency calls and drills
The selection process includes an oral interview, background check, physical agility testing, and psychological, medical and drug testing.