Open Burning Permit

The Fire Department issues open burning permits on behalf of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.

Commercial Properties 

If your project involves work on a commercial property, contact:

Building Inspections Division at (952) 233-9397

Department of Planning & Development at (952) 233-9350

Engineering Division at (952) 233-9369

Shakopee Public Utilities at (952) 445-1988

Questions about fire permits?

Contact: Tom Pitschneider, Shakopee Fire Marshal
(952) 233-9575

Fire Permits & Inspections


The Fire Department is responsible for permits, plan review, inspections and acceptance testing of:

Permit and Plan Submittals

Permit applications and plans must be submitted to the Fire Department.

  • Drop off or by delivery at 2700 Vierling Drive E., Shakopee, MN 55379
  • U.S. mail at Shakopee City Hall, 129 Holmes St. S., Shakopee, MN 55379 

Plan submittal should include:

  1. Fire Permit Application Form [PDF]
  2. A minimum of two sets of plans for each system.
  3. Manufacturer specification sheets for all devices.
  4. Standby battery calculations and/or fire protection system calculations.
  5. Electronic copies of all plans, specification sheets and calculations (in PDF format.)
  6. See the sections below for specific submittal requirements.

Permit Fees

Several permit fees will be changing Jan. 1, 2017. The new minimum permit fee will be $75.

For fire protection systems including fire sprinklers, fire alarms and special hazard fire protection systems, please use the Fee Calculator [PDF]

For other permits including fireworks, tanks, dispensing, tents, burning permits and other fire department fees, please use the Fee Schedule.

Fire Inspections

To schedule a fire inspection, call (952) 233-9570 at least 24 hours in advance. All appropriate installers are required to be present for the inspection. To schedule an inspection for building, mechanical and plumbing permits, call (952) 233-9396.

Placing an Alarm / Fire Protection System Out of Service

On occasion, industrial, commercial and multi-family and single-family residential occupancies need to take their fire alarm or fire protection system out of service to conduct tests or to make repairs. Prior to starting any work on an alarm/protection system, the monitoring company servicing the account and the Shakopee Fire Department must be notified. After tests or repairs are completed, call the monitoring company to put the alarm/protection system back in service and notify the Fire Department at (952) 233-9570.

Certificate of Occupancy Information

  • Pre-Fire Plan [PDF] - #08-2000: A site plan including the building footprint, layout, utility locations and special hazards is required prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy. 
  • A U.L. Certificate (Underwriters Laboratory) Certified Fire Alarm System Certificate is required prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy.

Fire Alarm Systems

Fire alarm systems include systems in which heat detectors or multiple smoke detectors are provided and one or more notification appliances are provided for occupant warning (City Code 111.15)  These systems may include fire protection monitoring systems.

Fire alarm and fire protection monitoring systems must be installed in accordance with applicable codes. All installations shall be provided with an Underwriter’s Laboratory (U.L.) Fire Alarm Certificate. A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until a copy of the certificate is received by the Fire Department.

For fire alarm systems utilizing a new or replacement fire alarm control panel, an electrical permit application is required.

*Before taking an alarm system out of service for tests or repairs, notify the Fire Department at (952) 233-9570. 

Fire Sprinkler Systems

Special Hazard Fire Suppression or Detection Systems

Special hazard systems include clean-agent suppression systems, commercial cooking hood suppression systems, dry chemical suppression systems. air-sampling detection and spark detection systems.

Commercial Cooking Hoods & Ducts

Tents and Canopies (Temporary Membrane Structures)

Flammable Liquid Storage Tanks & Dispensing Systems

Hazardous Materials

Tier II Turn Around Reports: City Code 130.08 requires that the locations of all storage areas and inventory of hazardous materials be reported annually in writing to the Fire Department.


Other Fire Codes & Policies

Consult Chapter 130 of City Code, “Public Protection, Crimes and Offenses,” for further information and requirements regarding topics such as the storage of junk and falsely reporting a fire.

  • General Construction Requirements [PDF] - #18-2004: Condensed information from all Fire Department policies.
  • Addressing and Signage
  • Keyboxes [PDF] - #02-2000: Fire Department keyboxes are required on industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
  • Access Roads [PDF] - #03-2000: Driveways or Fire Department access roads are required for industrial, commercial and residential properties.
  • Fire Lane Signage [PDF] - #06-2000: Fire lanes must be provided and posted in industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
  • Labeling Fire Rated Walls [PDF] - #10-2000: Fire rated walls must be labeled in industrial, commercial and certain multi-family properties.
  • Indoor Expositions [PDF] - #14-2002: Requirements for indoor expositions including craft shows, sports shows, automobile and boat shows, antique shows and other indoor events.
  • Apparatus Specifications [PDF] - #23-2007: Information on length, width and turning radius of department apparatus.