A residential building permit is required for any new residential building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.
Submit permit application with required attachments and fees to:
129 Holmes St. S.
Shakopee, MN 55379
Questions? (952) 233-9397
Additions, Remodels, Decks, Other
All projects listed below require a Residential Building Permit Application [PDF] unless noted.
Additional information and handouts:
- Accessory Buildings/Detached Garages [PDF] (Note: Utility/garden sheds under 200-square-feet do not require a permit)
- Basement Finishing [PDF]
- Interior Foundation Insulation Systems [PDF]
- Decks [PDF]
- Fence Permit and Information
- Lawn Irrigation System [PDF]: Available through ePermits
- Siding, Windows & Doors [PDF]: Available through ePermits
- Asphalt Shingle Roofing [PDF]: Available through ePermits
- Swimming Pools [PDF]
- Screen Porches & Three-Season Porch [PDF]
Erosion Control Information for New Homeowners [PDF]: Effective January 2009, the Erosion Control Escrow is $1,000 for all residential and commercial building permits that require erosion control protection. The escrow will be collected at the time of building permit issuance.
Utility Permit Application with Shakopee Public Utilities
Overview of NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit: Owners and operators of construction activity disturbing one acre or more of land need to obtain an NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.
Minnesota Energy Codes: New Minnesota Energy Codes became effective in June 2009. Some of the areas affected include radon, foundation insulation installation and efficiency, and mechanical equipment control.