Residential Building


A residential building permit is required for any new residential building, as well as additions to and remodeling of an existing building. Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer and water projects require additional permits.

Submit permit application with required attachments and fees to:

Building Inspections
129 Holmes St. S.
Shakopee, MN 55379

Questions? (952) 233-9397

Additions, Remodels, Decks, Other

All projects listed below require a Residential Building Permit Application [PDF] unless noted.

Additional information and handouts:

New Construction

Residential Building Permit Application [PDF]

Alternate Erosion & Sediment Control Plan Notes [PDF]

Erosion Control Information for New Homeowners [PDF]: Effective January 2009, the Erosion Control Escrow is $1,000 for all residential and commercial building permits that require erosion control protection. The escrow will be collected at the time of building permit issuance.

Utility Permit Application with Shakopee Public Utilities

Overview of NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit: Owners and operators of construction activity disturbing one acre or more of land need to obtain an NPDES Construction Storm Water Permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.

Residential Equipment/Appliance Data [PDF]

Minnesota Energy Codes: New Minnesota Energy Codes became effective in June 2009. Some of the areas affected include radon, foundation insulation installation and efficiency, and mechanical equipment control.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer