Changing Tenants or Building Use


Commercial Properties Only

Required for any change of tenant or building use to ensure the new use complies with city zoning regulations. Necessary whether the usage change applies to one tenant (e.g., office space to physician’s practice) or the entire building (e.g., retail to restaurant).

Request for Change of Occupancy, Occupant or Land Use Review [PDF]

Submit form with required attachments to:

Building Inspections
129 Holmes St. S.
Shakopee, MN 55379

Questions? (952) 233-9397

City staff will review the proposed building use change to determine whether any further requirements must be met:


If the proposed use does not change Minnesota State Building Code occupancy classification or the required building construction type AND complies with city zoning regulations, a certificate of occupancy is issued.

  • Applicant must submit a $50 fee to Building Inspections.


If no remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, the city will inspect the property for compliance with the current Minnesota State Building Code requirements for the proposed use.

If corrections are needed, plans and permits may be required. Once work is completed and the building is in compliance, a certificate of occupancy is issued.


If remodeling is planned to accommodate the new use, a building permit will also be required. (Only a building permit fee is charged; there is no additional charge for the certificate of occupancy.) Staff will review architectural drawings to ensure plans conform to city and state codes.

As construction is completed, inspectors will verify that work complies with applicable codes. Once all remodeling is completed and has passed inspection, a certificate of occupancy is issued.