Building Inspections handles the application and enforcement of the building code and related ordinances regulating construction and alterations with in the city.
|Beginning March 1, city is moving to electronic permit review. Many permits will be available only through the city's online ePermits program.|
Building permits are required for many building projects. Please note:
- Many projects require a plan review, which can take up to 10 working days.
- Applications should be submitted well in advance of the scheduled starting date, especially during the summer construction season.
- Permit fees are paid when permit is issued.
Applying for a building permit
Most building projects require residents and contractors to fill out the standard applications and provide supporting documentation:
- Residential building permits
- Commercial building permits
- Information Required for Building Permits [PDF]
Normally, electrical, plumbing, heating/air-conditioning and sewer/water projects require additional permits. Fence and tree permits are handled by the Public Works Department while fire protection permits and inspections are the responsibility of the Fire Department.
Permit applications must be filled out and returned to Building Inspections Division.
Some residential building permits that do not require plan review can be purchased online through ePermits.
Change of Occupancy
On-site inspections are required to make certain work conforms to the permit, city and state codes and plans. An experienced code official is available to answer questions concerning your project. The code official will let you know approximately how many inspections may be needed for your project.
A Shakopee code official will provide documentation when construction is completed and the code compliance is determined.
SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION
- Call (952) 233-9396 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.