Liquor Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Minnesota state law regulates the sale and possession of alcohol and liquor. All businesses and organizations aiming to sell and serve beer, wine and alcohol must be licensed by the city. Liquor licenses are only applicable for portions of a building where alcohol is served, not the full establishment.

The city issues liquor licenses for the following:

  • 3.2 Beer (On-Sale; Off-Sale; Temporary On-Sale)
  • Intoxicating Liquor (On-Sale; Off-Sale; Sunday On-Sale; Club On-Sale; Temporary On-Sale)
  • Taprooms and Small Breweries
  • Wine

How to Obtain a New License

Obtaining a liquor license is a multi-step process. City Council approval is required for all new and renewal licenses. Businesses should allow two months to process a license.

  1. Print out application instructions:
  2. Applicant submits paperwork, including:
  3. Police Department conducts a background check investigation
  4. City Council approves liquor license
  5. City collects license fee (see Fee Schedule)
  6. City submits paperwork to the state
  7. Once approved, the city issues license

How to Obtain a License Renewal

Licenses must be renewed annually on the state fiscal-year basis from July 1 to June 30.

  1. Applicant submits paperwork:
  2. City Council approves liquor license
  3. City collects license fee (see Fee Schedule)

How to Obtain a Temporary License

Non-profit organizations may apply for a temporary beer or liquor license a maximum of 12 times per year. These licenses are good for one to four days and should be submitted 30 days prior to the event. No background check is required for temporary licenses.

  1. Applicant submits paperwork and $35 fee:
  2. City Council approves liquor license
  3. City submits paperwork to the state
  4. Once approved, the city issues license

Additional Notes


Licenses are issued July 1 through June 30. For licenses issued after July 1, fees will be prorated. Licenses fees are found in annual Fee Schedule.


All licensed premises are open for inspection by the Police Department. Establishments in violation of city, state or federal regulations may be fined and/or have their license suspended or revoked.

Public Property

City Code prohibits consumption and possession of an alcoholic beverage in any city park, street, public property or private parking lot without specific permission from the City Council.

Outdoor Patios

Minnesota state law requires outdoor patios serving alcohol to be “compact and contiguous.”

Outdoor patios must be:

  • Clearly defined, e.g., surrounded by a fence
  • Contiguous to an establishment, e.g., adjacent to the liquor-serving establishment and only accessible through existing business entrance

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer