Sign Permits and Standards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Required for many types of signs.

Sign Permit Application [PDF]

Submit permit application with required attachments and fees to:

Planning & Zoning Division
485 Gorman St.
Shakopee, MN 55379

Questions? 952-233-9300

Note: Signs placed within the right-of-way or attached to trees, utility poles, rocks or other similar surfaces are not permitted and can be removed without warning.

Does my sign need a permit?

Click on the different types of signs to learn more about sign requirements and see examples.

  • Electronic Message Centers

  • Flag

  • Freestanding Sign

  • Revolving or Moving Signs

  • Temporary Sign - Banner

  • Temporary Sign - Sandwich Board

  • Temporary Sign - Temporary (Sail) Flags

  • Temporary Sign - Yard

  • Wall Signs

In 2014, the City Council adopted a new Sign Ordinance [PDF] in which sign area is now based on percentage of wall area and the sign overlay zone.

How is sign area determined?

The exact square footage permitted for each sign type is determined by the sign overlay district in which the business is located (Contemporary Commercial, Major Recreation, Traditional Commercial Corridor and Traditional Town Center) and the type of building (multi-tenant vs. single tenant).

Which sign district is my business located in?

Sign District Overlay Map [PDF]

What are the standards for my sign district? 

Information outlining the signage size and placement is available in City Code 151.185.

Sign District Standard Table [PDF]

Temporary Signs Table [PDF]

Sign Adjustments

Sign adjustments are similar to a variance but do not need to meet the same standards. Signs which do not meet the standard city code may apply for an adjustment for things such as size, height and number of signs. City Council adopted criteria for the Board of Adjustment and Appeals to determine whether a sign adjustment should be granted. The criteria for granting a sign adjustment are available in the sign ordinance of City Code 151.185. Signs that apply for a sign adjustment should be unique and include design elements which distinguish them from a sign which would be approved through standard ordinance. 

Sign adjustments may be applied for through the Sign Adjustment Application [PDF]. The Board of Adjustment and Appeals will review all applications on the standard submission schedule.

Contact Us

Planning & Zoning Division at 952-233-9300 or email

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer