The Planning and Zoning Division is primarily responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment.
Planning staff work with the City Council, Planning Commission and other city boards and commissions to plan for the city's future, guide current growth and development and put in place zoning standards that help to ensure that Shakopee remains an attractive and livable community.
- Preparation and implementation of the city’s comprehensive plan that lays out with the city's long-range guide to how property should be developed or redeveloped
- Administration of city zoning ordinances
- Reviews zoning and site design of current development projects
- Provide recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council on all land use issues
- Issues sign permits for external, commercial signs
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
To apply for one of these requests, please complete and return the Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) to City Hall with the appropriate attachments. Additional applications are available on the Planning Information & Applications webpage.
Land Use & Master Plan Study for West Shakopee
The city recently completed a master planning land use study for 323 acres in west Shakopee. Learn more...