The Planning and Zoning Division is primarily responsible for the review and management of development and redevelopment. The division's main functions include:
- Preparing and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan, which serves as the city's long-range guide for property development
- Administering city zoning ordinances
- Reviewing zoning and site design of current development projects
- Providing recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council on land use issues
- Issuing sign permits for external, commercial signs
Planning staff work with the City Council, Planning Commission and other city boards and commissions to plan for the city's future, guide current growth and development and put in place zoning standards that help to ensure that Shakopee remains an attractive and livable community.
Planning & Zoning Applications
Requests for zoning changes, variances, conditional use permits, subdivisions, site plans, plats, easement vacation and comprehensive plan amendments require review by the Planning Commission and approval by the City Council.
Submit Multi-Purpose Planning & Zoning Application [PDF] (see document for submittal dates) and appropriate attachments to:
485 Gorman St.
Shakopee, MN 55379
Additional applications are available on the Planning Information & Applications webpage.
Maps & Projects
- Zoning Map
- Current Development Projects
- Available Industrial Land & Buildings
- City Streets, Parks & Trails
Land Use & Master Plan Study for West Shakopee
The city recently completed a master planning land use study for 323 acres in west Shakopee.